Koh Samui is an island of Thailand and is very much eminent in tourist visiting because of its beautiful sandy beaches, restaurants, wide shopping range, coconut trees and for a lot more. It is the 2nd largest island of Thailand after Phuket that is also an eye catching and alluring site for visiting by the tourists. With an increment in its tourists visiting, the number of attraction sites, hotels, residence for rent and rent a car business over here flourishes to a large extent. The tourists opt to visit the island because of having being a full package place; Koh Samui has an interesting deep history, a notable progress and a very affluent and substantial culture.
If we said this place a sedimentation of a person, it would not be wrong. The island was inhabited by a fisherman 15 centuries back and has deep roots related to Malay Peninsula. The name of the island itself has a riveting story. Thai people can be said as sort of omen believers, also the natives of an area always have something to say about their past and about the events occurred over there in the past. Many tales are related by the name of Koh Samui. Some said that the word ‘Samui’ had come from the word ‘Mui’ which is a native tree and some believe that the word is originated from Malay word ‘soboey’ meaning safe heaven well the word ‘Koh’ is used for the island in the Thai language.
In the early era of Koh Samui, the island was not really progressive and established and had a very low contact with its mainland. Lack of proper roads, journey tracks, and other facilities made it cut off by the other country but later, the place made it road towards the success due to its growing tourist industry as well as its economic growth by the export of rubber and coconut.
The climate of Koh Samui makes it pretty suitable for touring the island because of having a humid and warm weather. Only a month or a bit more has a dry season. So, the climate over here will not bother you at all.
Because of its oofy and flushing culture, numerous festivals and event held here throughout the year. Whatever is the time of your visiting, you will never get bored. Some of the local festivals are as follows:
- SAMUI REGATTA; 2002 was the year of starting of this festival. Basically, it is a sailing tournament and is eminent throughout the world because not only the audience but also the participants take part in the event come here from other countries like Singapore, Japan, China and Australia.
- KOH SAMUI MIDNIGHT RUN; the race is not only a run but a deed of good, it is a charity based run organized by the Koh Samui association. More than 2000 contestants take part in this race and ran over 5km to 10 km area in the cheerful streets of Chaweng beach. It is one of the biggest and popular events in Thailand.
- BUFFALO FIGHTING FESTIVAL; the name is revealing the story of the festival. The event is organized on special times like the New Year’s Day. But unlike Spanish Bullfighting, this Buffalo festival is totally causing no harm. The specialty of the event is its association with Thai ancient custom and norms. The Buffaloes are decorated beautifully with paints, ribbons and other decorating stuff like that and are sprayed by the Holy water before the contest.
- TEN STAR SAMUI ART PARTY; a simple way to bring the art lovers under one roof are the events like this. This festival is held in resorts or high-end venues and has a glorious display of artwork.
Taking an account of a place’s culture and not discussing the food of the region will not be fair enough. The local food of the island includes salted eggs and Rambutan. Rambutan belongs to the family of tropical fruits and can be associated with the fruits like lychee or longan for convenience. Also, the chilies are the main ingredient in every meal as the chili is considered to be the king ingredient in Thai food.
Being a tourist attraction has made Koh Samui economically stable because of having millions of tourist over here throughout the year. Visiting of people help a lot the island to flourishes its businesses, economy, and industry.
Ang Thong National Marine Park primal archipelago of 42 islands situated in the Gulf of Thailand. Thick jungle, whitish lime stone mountains, fertile mangroves, turquoise water fall, hidden coves, lakes and sandy beaches make this park vulnerable. Dexterity is like fishing, hiking, diving, sailing, snorkeling and sea kayaking is there to allure its tourists. This 100 square kilometers area of land and sea is a hub to an endless variety of exotic wildlife and marine life. The visitors can reach there by a join in a day trip or by boat. Those who want to stay at night the place have a frame up for them in the form of simple bungalows and camping tents. A restaurant providing the traditional Thai food is there to serve the tourist.
Big Buddha Temple is locally known as Wat Phra Yai is a majestic statue of a Buddha on a small rocky island of Koh Samui. This golden 12 meter seated Buddha is prestige by the locals as being a religious hallmark. It was built in 1972 and from that time to up till now considered as the most sacred and eminent attraction of the island. This big Buddha can be seen from the distance of several kilometers and is taken as a land mark of the city. The Buddha statue sits in a Mara demeanor with the left hand’s palm up and the right facing down. This pose is envisaged as a symbol of enlightenment, purity, truth, and steadfastness among the locals.
Na Muang Waterfalls is a sumptuous set of two lakes depicting that the island’s beauty is not only its beaches. The waterfalls are set in lush green jungles surrounding which is easily accessible by the visitors having a reasonable fitness. Many people reached there through walking paths. The accessibility to the waterfalls is absolutely free but there are plenty of things along your way to spend your money on including several stalls selling snacks. Between these two waterfalls, there is an arrangement for kid’s entertainment featuring Elephant rides and Monkey shows. Your entire day will be awesome in doing hiking, swimming, picking and exploring.
Samui Snake Farm is a perfect place for wildlife lovers. Take a look to these fearsome reptiles. A show is held on the farm every night and a variety of snakes are used in the show including King Cobra and giant Pythons. Scorpion shows and Cock fighting which is a traditional Thai sport is also held here on daily basis. The snake farm has a reptile zoo where the visitors can touch and handle nonpoisonous snakes.
Latest posts by John (see all)
- Etihad Airways to increase frequencies to London for the summer - May 18, 2019
- The Korean Air and Delta Airlines Joint Advertising Campaign - May 17, 2019
- Best Places to visit in Cambodia - May 16, 2019